Welcome, Guest!
Friday, 2024-03-29
Please check the donation page for more information.
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Discussions » Manga/Manhwa » What Do You Look at First for a Series?
What Do You Look at First for a Series?
toki-chanDate: Monday, 2011-10-31, 8:30 AM | Message # 51
Private
Group: Reader
I usually go by the mangaka. I tend to like works from the same mangaka.

Now, if the mangaka is unknown to me, this is the order I go by:

First of all, the art. It's important to me because in a manga, art is part of the story. I have to, at the very least, tolerate the art.

Next, the summary. I need to know what the story is about. Is it something I might be interested in?

Reviews are a deciding factor, too--some of them have spoilers. They're also personal. Most people don't write reviews unless they feel strongly about the manga.

xLilimDate: Tuesday, 2011-11-01, 4:13 AM | Message # 52
Private
Truthfully speaking, I agree with most of the people here saying they look at art first. I do. It has to at least be pleasing to the eye or quirky enough to draw my attention. The next step would be storyline. I read my fair share of cliches, but there always a manga with an eye catching premise that literally make my heart melt. I enjoy series that are different, so that's always a plus.

P.S. I also look at the mangaka, too. If I've read something from them before that I liked, I will read it. hehe

NeioDate: Tuesday, 2011-11-01, 6:11 AM | Message # 53
Private
Group: Member
Usually it's the artwork that never fails to get my attention. But I always look at the summary before I brush it off, since there are a lot of manga with unusual artwork, or let's say subpar artwork that have wonderful stories, and I've read a lot of them. On the contrary, there are also manga that have beautiful art but cliche, unoriginal and boring stories. So for me, I guess the story comes first and beautiful art is just a plus.

Katsura89Date: Tuesday, 2011-11-01, 7:19 AM | Message # 54
Private
The first thing that attracts me is the drawing. If the drawing attracts me, I read the summary of the series... If the summary looks good, I download all the series and then I watch it...

NoctuleDate: Tuesday, 2011-11-01, 9:46 AM | Message # 55
Private
At first i look at the cover and judge the art and only after that i look at the summery. But sometimes i can look for a new serie by artist/author or by rating.

jubjubDate: Tuesday, 2011-11-01, 11:35 AM | Message # 56
Private
The cover is always the first thing I notice since I can't really read something if I don't like the art.
Then the summary, cos just pretty art isn't enough. And finally if I like the main characters

FeedertDate: Tuesday, 2011-11-01, 6:16 PM | Message # 57
Private
First, i must say I look for the genres first. I read no yaoi, yuri, shounen ai nor shoujo ai, also no ecchi.

After that I saw the cover, but some of the manga, mostly oneshot don't display it's cover, so I went directly to read the summary.

Then I tried to read the first few chapters before I decided whether to continue to read it or not.

NoitaminaDate: Saturday, 2011-11-05, 6:15 AM | Message # 58
Private
First it's the artwork that counts. But no -however good artwork - compensates for a bad storyline.

HatsuneMikuDate: Sunday, 2011-11-06, 1:01 AM | Message # 59
Sergeant
I look for what Genre it is. Pacifically... If it has any Romance in it. I'm a sucker for Romance. SO I go out of my way to check something out if it has romance in it.

MomperDate: Wednesday, 2011-11-16, 9:48 PM | Message # 60
Private
Hallo!

When I look at manga in a bookstore, I look at art first. I am artist so art is very important to me. No matter how good storyline is, if art is not good then I can't read it. Second is summary to see if interesting. Beautiful art with no good story is nice to flip through and look at, but not to spend time and read.

If scanlation online that I look at summary, see if interesting, and then art. Language/finished is not a problem.

ast0neDate: Friday, 2011-11-18, 4:30 PM | Message # 61
Private
I'm ashamed to say that the first thing I look for is the art and whether or not I like it, usually because that is what draws my eye to it there on the shelf or browsing through the internet. Then I read the summary then I read the first couple pages to see how I like the phrasing and wording. It's very important to me that it flows nicely. I do try to check out manga/manwha who's art isn't to my liking and I have found quite a few with excellent stories even though the art isn't my favourite. I learned to draw the human form with manga so normal proportioned people is a definite plus for me. yaoi is my favourite and it has so many opportunity to see the different muscle movements when they get down and dirty XD.
So art is the major first decider for me on whether or not i'll pick up the manga.

"Morals are relative"
"Logics for the weak"

LhaewethDate: Saturday, 2011-11-19, 9:23 AM | Message # 62
Private
I'm a sucker for a pretty face so... yeah a pretty cover genereally will get my attention, specially if it's yaoi with bishies in compromising situations NB
but that's the first impact and I admit I've had a few disappointments in which the story and inside artwork doesn't keep up with the pretty cover. I also prefer longer series, oneshot's don't do it for me. and if I see at a first glance the manga is basically just smutt with no story to it, I tend to let it go and find something else to read, cause it just get's boring when it's sex from start to finish with no filling in between!

Crystalc86Date: Monday, 2011-12-05, 3:19 PM | Message # 63
Private
I think it would be also the art and story plot. However, if the plot doesn't stick, but the art is good, i tend to skim to the end rather than read to see if the plot picks up and catches my attention. If the plot doesn't, then, even if the art is good, i wouldn't want to go back and read the manga chapter by chapter :(

Hana Yori Dango...the plot was good but the art wasn't my favorite style. There are these exceptions.

One other exception would be the mangaka. If he/she was someone I adore, regardless of plot or drawing style, I'll read it lol Yay

eclipse100Date: Thursday, 2011-12-08, 8:28 PM | Message # 64
Private
I would say that the storyline has to be good. Then if I like the artwork or not. I have had it where I like the artwork of the series but the story became uninteresting so I stopped reading.

olooreDate: Monday, 2011-12-12, 10:57 AM | Message # 65
Private
Well, very often it is art that catches my eye. Then I look at the summary. Of course a few chapters scanlated are very helpful in deciding whether I should follow this or that series. Because cover and summary might look interesting but the content turns out to be silly or boring.
And if I know and like certain mangaka, then I will definetely give a try to her/his new works T-Ups

MiertenDate: Friday, 2011-12-30, 1:00 PM | Message # 66
Private
What does it take to pick up a series:
Is it released by a group whom I tend to like their series. For instance, if it done by Storm in Heaven, I'm reading it.
Have I enjoyed other stuff by that author?
Does the description sound appealing?
How is it rated and what are the comments at Manga Updates? Is it 10 people giving their opinion or 100?
Is it finished or close or even done by a group that has frequent enough releases that I will remember the plot between chapters?

PawynDate: Friday, 2011-12-30, 3:35 PM | Message # 67
Private
I may a bit shallow, but I check the cover art first, then the summary AND the inside art (covers can be very misleading). If the overall feeling is right I start reading! (If its translated, of course-- scanlation or official translation)

Sari90Date: Friday, 2011-12-30, 9:10 PM | Message # 68
Private
Being the artist that I am...I look at the art first and then I look at the plot. Both the art and the plot (and characters) are very important to me.

SansDate: Friday, 2011-12-30, 10:31 PM | Message # 69
Private
For new manga, I tend to looks on the cover first and then the summary. The art doesn't have to be so 'good' as in there are handsome men/boys and beautiful women/girls, but it will have to be interesting enough to catch my eyes, whether though the composition or the colors. Of course, when the said new manga is from my fav mangaka, I will always just picked it up and bought it T-Ups

Am Busy - Blame it on the boys!

IMustBeInsaneDate: Tuesday, 2012-01-03, 0:24 AM | Message # 70
Private
First, I check the genres. There is no way I want to be stuck reading a tragedy, but the most important part is Step #2: the summary. If the story doesn't look interesting, then what's the point of reading it?

Esbe71Date: Wednesday, 2012-01-04, 11:37 PM | Message # 71
Private
I usually check the art first if it is good then I check the plot and status in country of origen and how many chapters are already translate to english and for last I check if I have read some other work by the same author. So for me it goes like this:
1. artwork
2. plot
3. status
4. translations
5. mangaka

mizuqueenDate: Thursday, 2012-01-12, 11:21 AM | Message # 72
Private
it's always the art that attracts me first. but art can be deceptive because i've bought and read manga that had beautiful art but no plot or interesting characters whatsoever.

sometimes just the cover is beautiful and the art inside is subpar. that's like false advertising.

so first it's the art that attracts me then i read the summary to see what kind of storyline it has. if it's something unique or unusual, i usually read.

alot of times i just go by the author too. like if it's a favorite mangaka i'll take a chance on it and usually i'm not disappointed.

shnuppiDate: Friday, 2012-01-13, 11:51 AM | Message # 73
Private
For me, art is the most important. But then of course there's exception. If the plot is good enough to make up for a style of art that i do no t prefer, i would still read it. But if the are is good and the plot is not interesting to me, i would stop reading it. So i'd say, art is what hooks me, but plot is what keeps me there.

catpipeDate: Monday, 2012-01-23, 0:46 AM | Message # 74
Private
The first thing that usually catches my eye first will be the artwork followed by the storyline. In most cases whether I read it or not will be determined by the storyline.

faechildeDate: Thursday, 2012-01-26, 4:44 AM | Message # 75
Private
The plot is of primary importance to me. Then I make sure it's being scanlated and/or scanlation has been completed. Next I check out the artwork. I should also say that I tend to automatically read certain authors as I know that their stories will be well-written and keep my interest.

amedoxDate: Sunday, 2012-01-29, 3:14 AM | Message # 76
Private
Besides what was mentioned in the first post (scanlated, availability), the style of drawing is really important to me. Maybe I'm a bit shallow and judge a book by its cover, but if the summary/description can redeem it in my eyes, I'll give it a try.

MaluDate: Tuesday, 2012-02-07, 4:42 PM | Message # 77
Private
The first... The art!! And later I read the summary!
Ahh in Zero Alliance Sapphire said to me "I thought spooky/psycho stuff + nice art is your type?"
This is my type? I don´t know hahaha xD

ShaynekoDate: Saturday, 2012-02-11, 3:15 PM | Message # 78
Private
The art work on the cover will catch my eye, though what really makes or breaks if I am going to spend money on the series is the summary. If it doesn't really have a good summary that makes me want to read it I normally wont get it. I want something with a good story as well as good art really.

ChippDate: Thursday, 2012-02-16, 2:41 PM | Message # 79
Private
Yeah, I look at the cover, than read a summary and after that I try the first chapter. If I liked that, I'll continue to read this thing)

fujiyukiDate: Friday, 2012-02-17, 11:20 PM | Message # 80
Private
What I look for when I am looking for a series is firstly the artwork. I know that sounds rather superficial, but if the illustration draws me in, I am more incline to check out the series. But then, as importantly, a good plot line and characters are also important. There have been some manga with very pretty illustrations, but the storyline is rather boring, it makes me not want to read on.

shadowheartsDate: Saturday, 2012-02-18, 1:46 PM | Message # 81
Private
First of all i look the genre of the manga, then the illustration and last the illustration. If the illustration sucks it fails

cassiopaeDate: Saturday, 2012-02-18, 3:23 PM | Message # 82
Private
First, I'll see what is recommended. I hate to loose time on boring story / stupid characters, so when I see a series that is shared, I read the comments about the series... If it looks good, I'll download it~

NaishoDate: Thursday, 2012-03-01, 7:39 AM | Message # 83
Private
For me, it's summary first. Then genre since I usually avoid manga tagged under both shoujo and romance, and also gender benders. Sorry but I'd rather have the males and females be males and females. The art would be the last in my list. As an artist myself, I understand that the mangaka could improve through the course of the manga so crappy art isn't that big of a deal of me so long as the story can still be told effectively.

MidoriDate: Saturday, 2012-03-10, 4:51 AM | Message # 84
Lieutenant
First of all, I would check the art! If it's horrible, I'll post a thread or read previous threads with topics about the horrible art and if they say "You'll get used to it and get sucked in by the plot", "You won't even notice the art is ugly when you start reading", "You will like it sooner or later" and whatnot! Then, I'll make an exception. Second, I check out the plot! If it is not really catchy, I'll read what others have said about it cause sometimes, the plot just give the boring side of the story and BAM! You'll die of nosebleed loss when you start reading it. And Finally, The MOST IMPORTANT PART, when I have checked out the art and plot, I have to check out the real story and enjoy it! Usually, when the manga scanlators of the project manga starts to slow down with their releases, I tend to get bored with it and after a few weeks, I re-read it from chapter 1 and start lovin' it again!

I love reading manga I love my mom~!

kisaDate: Tuesday, 2012-10-09, 7:31 AM | Message # 85
Private
The first thing I look for would be the artwork. Second would be the storyline though I would sometimes look over "not so pretty" artwork for an interesting or amusing storyline. I would basically pick up anything interesting and pleasing to the eyes

catpipe8473Date: Tuesday, 2012-10-09, 9:02 AM | Message # 86
Sergeant
I would look at the artwork and storyline first of all before I decide to start a new series. The flow of the story is important to me as well.

kayueDate: Tuesday, 2012-10-09, 9:34 PM | Message # 87
Private
First, I look at the genres, (bonus point for yaoi or gender-benders!); then the summary. Then the art.
Of course if I like the mangaka then I'll take a look at it regardless.

chibikariDate: Tuesday, 2012-12-25, 5:02 PM | Message # 88
Private
The order of my decision making goes like this:
1) genre
2) storyline
3) art
all within the first couple of chapters.... afterwards
4) impact?
5) relationships
6) potential
Then I continue to read away and wait and anticipate for new chapters.

korf73Date: Wednesday, 2012-12-26, 4:54 PM | Message # 89
Private
Normally when a manga is first released I check for a summary/description of it and sometimes the genre. If I like the description then I give it a try, however if the art is really bad I might stop reading, the plot is also important, if the plot is good but the art is so so I might continue reading it.

RiiNDate: Wednesday, 2013-01-02, 11:37 AM | Message # 90
Private
The first thing I look at is the artworks. It usually catch my eyes first. But mostly I go by my friends' recommendations and the popularity or rating of a manga in the internet.

a7thinaDate: Tuesday, 2013-01-22, 11:13 PM | Message # 91
Private
To be honest I have a one track mind so the most important thing(s) is the genre: has to be yaoi or at least shounen-ai AND I really prefer it if the manga is completely scanlated already. There are just too many mangas which get dropped or the scanlation group just ceases to exist or the progress of scanlating is just so slow that you can read a new chapter only once in a couple of years (I'm in no way blaming the scanlators!! just saying it happens) or.... There're just so many reasons why a manga is thus unfinished and then I get upset because (worst case scenario) I'll never be able to read the end of the story...
This is one (of the many) reasons why I'm so grateful for scanlation groups such as this one that try to complete dropped mangas!
You guys/gals are doing something ohs

I truly appreciate it!!!

rcassidyDate: Sunday, 2013-01-27, 0:35 AM | Message # 92
Private
I'm caught by the art. But i've not finished reading because the story was so dumb and conversely, I've read ones that the art was iffy.

takashimuraDate: Friday, 2013-09-06, 11:38 AM | Message # 93
Private
Of course it's a scanlated manga. Then I'll look the character of the manga
I would prefer if the couple are a masculine handsome seme and a tender beautiful uke

I also love reading shota manga *kyaaaa I'm so pervert >_<

celestiteDate: Monday, 2015-12-21, 9:24 AM | Message # 94
Private
At first before start reading a series, i look at the art and the author first. If the art is so beautiful and caught my eyes, i will start reading the synopsis, and hoping the plot will be good. But if the plot is so boring and draggy maybe i will stop reading it.
I really love gender-bender and historical romance manga, but i also read other genre too, if the art and story is good or if the manga get very popular.

manenalucaDate: Wednesday, 2016-01-20, 10:23 AM | Message # 95
Sergeant
First I look for the artist. The art is important, followed by storyline and the genre. Sometimes the storyline piqued my interest and I start to read it, but, if it doesn't stir something inside me, it ain’t do.

shirleyzDate: Wednesday, 2016-01-27, 4:31 AM | Message # 96
Private
Personally, I think the first thing that attracts me is the cover. Since sometimes there're long descriptions or no summary, i prefer to the cover first. I know it was not a good choice that may let me miss some good manga, so i would concern the genre and first chapter of the manga after that.

black813fujoshiDate: Wednesday, 2016-02-03, 10:20 PM | Message # 97
Private
Artstyle. Total sucker for it. If it's not beautiful then there's no meaning to it. I find myself hard to enjoy story with artstyle that I found painful to the eyes no matter how much people around me compliments the story. For beautiful art I will go as far as reading raws and crying everyday why language barrier even exist LOL I'm such a masochist

isabeau_321Date: Saturday, 2016-02-06, 5:19 PM | Message # 98
Private
First the genre, then artwork and summary. The summary is a bit more important to me than the art... But still, if I don't like the art, I tend to not pick up the series.

howoriginalllDate: Monday, 2016-02-15, 8:40 AM | Message # 99
Private
When I see a new manga, I look at the art first, manga is something you enjoy, so good art is a must!
Next I look at the author, if I know this author then I get a general idea how the story goes. 
Afterwards I look at the story (i.e. whether its scanlated or not haha)

firesong17Date: Tuesday, 2016-02-16, 1:59 AM | Message # 100
Private
first thing i look for is also if i like the art style and the genre, followed by the story.  but if the story is good enough i might disregard that i im not so fond of the art style.

Forum » Discussions » Manga/Manhwa » What Do You Look at First for a Series?
Search: