Welcome, Guest!
Thursday, 2024-04-18
Please check the donation page for more information.
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Forum » Discussions » Manga/Manhwa » How did you get into manga and why?
How did you get into manga and why?
totodoodooDate: Sunday, 2011-04-24, 8:04 PM | Message # 1
Private
Group: Reader
Alright, what caused you to start reading manga in the first place?

I don't LOVE manga... I like it and that's good enough.

As for how I got into manga, this is how it started. My sister kept bugging me about watching a few of her anime series (my other sister did not appreciate any of the first sisters attempts); so, I eventually caved in and watched a few... one was witch hunter robin, trigun, and naruto. Naruto was the one that caught me like a fish. See, I was watching all of the episodes that I could, and then the fillers started to come in. This I did not like so much, and then I heard that there was a manga that was further along to this show "naruto". Therefore, I started reading the series. I eventually caught up to the weekly release... I wanted something to occupy myself while I waited for my next release... which caused me to start other titles. and that's that.

SO, Naruto was my gateway drug.

nycmangoDate: Sunday, 2011-04-24, 11:15 PM | Message # 2
Private
Naruto was also my gateway into manga reading, however I started watching the anime first as a recommendation from a friend. I then thought the episodes were too long so I started to read the manga. And long behold the manga got too long and then I started to read other genres which were good stories too and shorter to my liking. I still read naruto though since it was the very first "series" that got me interested in the world of "manga"

AikoaikoDate: Sunday, 2011-04-24, 11:17 PM | Message # 3
Private
I was first an anime fan. I knew about manga but didn't really care much at first. but a lot of series are rather open-ended and made me want to see the real ending so it started from that.

Message edited by Aikoaiko - Sunday, 2011-04-24, 11:18 PM

LennieDate: Monday, 2011-04-25, 2:32 AM | Message # 4
Private
I think it started with cardcapter anime that comes up on tv every weekday afternoon. Thats how i became interested in anime/manga style. Then i found web-comics, which i enjoyed for a while but i got bored. Then i realized there are real professionals who draws manga for living and they are often times better than comics.

dashDate: Monday, 2011-04-25, 6:42 AM | Message # 5
Sergeant
I started to read manga because of Fruits Basket and Basara animes. At that time they were my favourites and the ending for both those animes wasn't satisfying for me. So I started reading the mangas to see what's the real ending. And I've descovered that somentimes a manga is better than an anime. Since then I've been reading possibly hundreds of searies and I don't intend to stop any time soon :)

ShelinDate: Monday, 2011-04-25, 7:28 AM | Message # 6
Private
I started to read manga by chance. I wanted to buy witch but then I saw a comic that looked interesting. I really liked it and then I started to buy new volumes. Then I realized that it was actually manga xD My first title was Kamikaze Kaitou Jeane xD Now I have a lot o titles but still it's my favourite :3

mitsukuniDate: Monday, 2011-04-25, 8:21 AM | Message # 7
Private
I don't really remember how I got into manga/manhwa but I had always been a fan of books. All kinds of books from non-friction to friction. I do remember going into the comic shop with my friends who were buying new comics and all of a sudden, I started buying them too. I read a lot of manga both from buying them and online (so much faster when you are chasing it) but the first series I bought was Ouran Koukou Host Club :)

LoreDate: Monday, 2011-04-25, 10:21 AM | Message # 8
Private
It was anime what got me to read manga, the first one I saw was Sailor Moon I did love the beautiful artwork and of course the story, after that I saw Dragon Ball.

This anime was so popular that I'd buy the manga so it was this the first one for me, which it's sad since I always wanted to read Sailor Moon's manga but after so many years there's no way someone will publish it in my country!

virtual1979Date: Monday, 2011-04-25, 10:44 AM | Message # 9
Private
For me, it was Doraemon that got me into reading manga.. I was a little kid back then, and seeing these really cute characters on paper with their super powers and abilities got me hooked, including that endless pocket on Doraemon's tummy.. *laughs* School took a toll on my manga-reading habit, though, but when I got into high school, suddenly manga looked interesting again when I discovered how sexy those 2-d, black-and-white, stylized bishies are.. heh.

PucaDate: Monday, 2011-04-25, 2:44 PM | Message # 10
Private
I started the same way, but with Inuyasha. After the anime ended I just had to know what happened next so I started reading the manga. Later I stumbled on yaoi - I started with Renai Kyoutei Nukegake Nashi! ....and what a great way to start... T-Ups
Right now it's mostly BL/yaoi and some shoujo (but really good ones, I just can't stand the cheesy ones). Same goes for yaoi.
Ups...Am I the only pervert here???

smashed_head_angelDate: Monday, 2011-04-25, 5:11 PM | Message # 11
Private
At first, I only watch anime. When I joined a forum and saw scanlations, that is how I started. I had read manga before that but I thought of Doraemon as comic then. HOHO

hassliebeDate: Monday, 2011-04-25, 5:12 PM | Message # 12
Private
I started reading manga after I watched Saint Seiya for the second time while I was a teeenager. Then I came to know there were mangas of most of the animes I had watched, so I decided to check those until I became kind of addicted to it ^^'

lov2hateDate: Monday, 2011-04-25, 5:28 PM | Message # 13
Private
omg wow this is so long ago!! I think it all started with Sailor Moonand then all hell broke lose!!! hahah i was just beginning in my teens, and then fushigi yugi,DBZ, hana yori dongi and so on!!! lol

daniyagamiDate: Monday, 2011-04-25, 7:34 PM | Message # 14
Private
I don't really know how to answer, I read manga for so much time... I think I started when I was a child, I dont really remember. I prefer manga than comic books for sure. I think manga looks better and I like more the stories.

midoriko83Date: Tuesday, 2011-04-26, 11:47 AM | Message # 15
Private
Group: Member
I always loved comics and cartoons since I was 5-6 years old and from there to start reading manga/manhwa and watching anime was just a step forward.

bvanessaDate: Tuesday, 2011-04-26, 12:07 PM | Message # 16
Private
When I was little (about 7 years old), I was used to watch anime on french tv ( I come from Belgium). there were dragon ball Z, sailor moon, Ranma 1/2 and I liked them so much...so I continued and I began to read manga years after.

BabyRalukutzaDate: Thursday, 2011-04-28, 6:57 AM | Message # 17
Private
Hmm... how i got into manga? It started with my little brother who was an anime otaku and who pestered me into watching Naruto and Bleach series, saying that are very cool and that i must watch them. At first, Bleach didn't got my attention, but Naruto got me addicted and that's how i got into animes. But since for the anime i had to wait a whole week for another episode, i found out about the manga that was ahead of the anime and that's how i started reading this type of comics.

angelineDate: Saturday, 2011-04-30, 2:29 PM | Message # 18
Private
yeah i start manga when my sister introduce some manga to me then i try to search online and addict to it haha

( ^ - ^ ) ~

AvitalDate: Sunday, 2011-05-01, 12:44 PM | Message # 19
Private
Actually my mom brought home DragonBall volume 35 or so from te library. xD I remember reading it for like 10 seconds or so before throwing it away again. After some time, though, I picked it up and loved it and afterwards started reading the series. :b
That lead to even more series and more series and so on and so on. Now, well, I am kind of addicted to it - like many others.

|banksy|

ArielDate: Monday, 2011-05-02, 10:31 PM | Message # 20
Private
I started watching tokusatsus and animes when I was a child (a long time ago HOHO ) so, I was first an anime fan. I didn't knew about manga; I was crazy about comics: Turma da Mônica (comic from my country), Batman, Superman... but after watching Saint Seiya, Yu Yu Hakusho, Bleach and Naruto (don't laugh), I wanted to read the original works.

GuDate: Monday, 2011-05-09, 10:39 AM | Message # 21
Private
Actually I stumble upon Junjuo Romantica anime first! Then I realized it was made from manga.
So I googled for the manga and became hooked. That's how I get started on the manga.

yuuDate: Monday, 2011-05-09, 4:36 PM | Message # 22
Private
My reading started with watching anime. And the first anime that I saw was Sailor Moon HOHO Than it was George, and finally The rose of Versale (sorry if I spelled wrong) When I understood that cartoon (that time I had no idea it was called anime lol) can be so sad and tragic I began to wonder about this whole genre of Japanese cartoons. I that brought me to manga^^

RisaDate: Monday, 2011-05-09, 7:11 PM | Message # 23
Private
I first got into anime by watching toonami on Cartoon Network. I watched Sailormoon, Tenchi Muyo, Outlaw Star, and Dragonball. I didn't know manga's were the actual story and the anime was just a product of the manga until a few years after when I read Sailormoon, which is completely different to the anime, as you probably know.

tamDate: Saturday, 2011-07-02, 3:48 AM | Message # 24
Private
I've always been an avid reader of all types of books. A friend recommended the manga Eternal Sabbath to me at a time when I was rather bored with the current novels. I was surprised at the quality of the story and the art. Then I gradually tried a few others until now I'm hooked. I also enjoy anime, but unlike most, I went from manga to anime.

dayde3Date: Tuesday, 2011-07-05, 0:22 AM | Message # 25
Private
i started watching when i was a kid, so i guess it started with anime. But a few years ago i stumbled across bleach (yeah, i'm totally late to the party) and started reading the manga. From the point i preferred the 'written word'.

I've always wanted to be a comic book artist, so i think that this was my inspiration to get back into that. I love all the hard work they do.

lleuferDate: Tuesday, 2011-07-05, 3:02 AM | Message # 26
Private
it was because of my sister, always reading manga happily and then i got curious what was so fun about it.. and in the end i got hooked by reading manga..

aryDate: Tuesday, 2011-07-05, 4:40 AM | Message # 27
Private
for me it was dragonball z at first then when i was on break at work i saw a shounen jumpthen got pulled in from there.

woolexsDate: Tuesday, 2011-07-05, 4:48 AM | Message # 28
Private
I started to read manga after i saw naruto anime. I hate waiting for anime to come out every week so i decided to jump to manga to read.

hoshiiDate: Tuesday, 2011-07-05, 10:22 AM | Message # 29
Private
Umm, I just somehow caught Furuba on television and it all started from there. Furuba, Inuyasha and Cardcaptor Sakura were amongst the first few I watched. And from anime, I found out that manga was pretty nice too.. and so I started reading Furuba, lol. And never stopped ever since.

BeaTru13Date: Tuesday, 2011-07-05, 1:30 PM | Message # 30
Private
A friend showed me bleach (Anime) and it got to boring to wait to the next ep so i started reading the manga and after a while i began to find other manga titles that i liked, and now my bookshelf is stuffed with all kinds of manga...

What if I wanted to fight, Beg for the rest of my life? Come break me down, Bury me, bury me ,I am finished with you.

Nino007Date: Tuesday, 2011-07-05, 2:17 PM | Message # 31
Private
I've loved anime and manga since I was little. At first I really like anime and then I progressed to manga. I guess it's a form of escapism because I know guys will never be as good as the guys in shoujo mangas. It's nice to dream.

tysia36Date: Tuesday, 2011-07-05, 4:26 PM | Message # 32
Private
For me anime was first -> it was in my country and manga not. Ever since I got Internet I was watching various anime and one of them wasn't completely out yet but I found out that it was basing on manga^^ ... So I found this manga and read what will happen next ;P ... I liked it so much that I read the rest of manga by the same author :D ... and this is how it all started for me :)

Message edited by tysia36 - Tuesday, 2011-07-05, 4:27 PM

rbchynDate: Wednesday, 2011-07-06, 2:00 PM | Message # 33
Private
Fruits Basket! I watched the anime and loved it, but it was only 25 or 26 episodes. (I wanted more!) Prior to that, I didn't really read manga, just watched anime. :x

swtlilaznDate: Monday, 2011-07-25, 8:13 PM | Message # 34
Private
When i was in 6th grade, i love to watch the anime InuYasha and when i search online to watch it. I found out that there is a manga of InuYasha and i started reading. Then i started to read all different kind of manga and now it became a daily routine to read manga.

BluesakeDate: Monday, 2011-07-25, 9:01 PM | Message # 35
Private
The Yaoi Gravitation is what made me start reading manga. I heard it was popular at a convention a a few years ago and ended up buying it and from then I started to buy manga and read it.

YaoilovertashDate: Monday, 2011-07-25, 10:14 PM | Message # 36
Private
I believe I got into manga when I started to enjoy anime and I love to read so I always thought of mangas as animes that I could read. I don't even remember what my first anime was but I believe the first manga series I ever brought was Pokemon manga that I found in the supermarket.

shinjouDate: Tuesday, 2011-07-26, 0:58 AM | Message # 37
Private
mine starts with doraemon. back then, the firstly published manga in indonesia is doraemon, then later on comes dragon ball n glass mask, then the rest till now. after that, it becomes my love. i love manga. kinda obsessed with yaoi now. that's kinda bad in my house actually, but as long as no one messes with my mangas (bought or scanlation) no one knows i read yaoi anyway. :p

hgc100Date: Tuesday, 2011-07-26, 7:10 AM | Message # 38
Private
I have read manga since I'm eight year old, I think XD It's quite a time :))
I think that my older brothers who brought me first volumes of Dragon Ball and Dragon Quest XDD
At that time in my country, there's not many manga for you to read like today. They're only really famous series like Doraemon, Dragon Ball, Dragon Quest, Garasu no Kamen...

When internet was popular in my country about six years ago, I started reading online manga. It brouhgt me to shounen-ai/yaoi manga XD The first is 4th Sleep by Tateno Makoto sensei XD And I become a yaoi lover now XDD I still read shounen, shoujo, kodomo... but shounen-ai/yaoi manga is my love :">

There're many mangas that I like, so I can not decide what is my best liking :P Am I too greedy XDD But now I'm following One Piece, Fairy Tail, Skip Beat, Kuroshitsuji and many yaoi series scanlated by group :))

Trên hai vai ta đôi vầng nhật nguyệt.
Rọi suốt trăm năm...
...một cõi đi về.

jetchanDate: Tuesday, 2011-07-26, 10:44 AM | Message # 39
Private
when I finally got a reliable net service, i tried out MIRC & found scanlation groups. Learning the ways and hows to download & reading the fantastic works of the scan groups, I got hooked!

Lilychan06Date: Wednesday, 2011-07-27, 1:15 AM | Message # 40
Private
I got into manga because of slash. I really enjoyed Harry Potter and one day I came across a slash story and so I got into slash while looking for more fan fiction I came across someone with a manga partial scan and discovered the wonderful world of yaoi and that is how it all started. I found an lj community with something called scanlation and I was hooked.

TangoDate: Sunday, 2011-08-07, 4:30 PM | Message # 41
Private
I was trying to learn how to draw anime style for a friend so I picked up my first manga simply for a study material...it was Demon Diary....(bl elements in my first right? lol) then I got addicted and just kept buying and buying...then I discovered fanlationscanlation and it became a manga/manwha orgy... HOHO

TearDate: Sunday, 2011-08-07, 10:31 PM | Message # 42
Private
One day I came across a few chapters of Hana-Kimi and I became addicted to it...the rest is history...no wait...then I started searching google and anywhere I could to find the rest of the manga and I found out what Hana-Kimi was, 'a manga', and I've been a manga lover ever since. Shounen-ai and yaoi manga's came later though, but that's a story for another time bye

mokoDate: Saturday, 2011-08-27, 4:16 AM | Message # 43
Private
I wanted to watch anime first but couldn't download it because of BAD internet. And I found that I can download manga - version of anime!! And that was it... Kyah

It was Fake by the way

Message edited by moko - Saturday, 2011-08-27, 4:17 AM

DebsDate: Saturday, 2011-08-27, 9:21 AM | Message # 44
Private
With me it all started when I saw my first anime which was Escaflowne when I was about 12. Then I started exploring the internet for more anime and came across manga. I bought my first manga which was Revolutionery Girl Utena and loved it. I've been hooked on both anime and manga since.

Anime_AngelDate: Saturday, 2011-08-27, 11:36 AM | Message # 45
Private
I can remember it all to well. It started out when I stayed up late and started getting into inuyasha, which was aired on adult swim. At this time, I was in middle school. I met a girl on my bus and started becoming friends with her and the rest of her friends. I found out they watched inuyasha too and they introduced me to manga and anime. And the rest is history.

NaoDate: Sunday, 2011-08-28, 3:13 AM | Message # 46
Private
Long story but at first I wasn't into it & it was just something I read with a friend when I went over. (She was obsessed with Sailor Moon & her dad loved DBZ, lol.) Eventually, I ran across some online and started reading. One of the stories really resonated with the situation I was in at the time, so I was hooked, lol. (Nothing like failed first love, lol.)

voidchildDate: Sunday, 2011-08-28, 9:12 AM | Message # 47
Private
To be honest I really don't remember what my first manga was O__O just too long ago XD
Though I'd wager it was probably some 'not-that-famous' shoujo manga I randomly read online... or Full Moon or Spiral XDXD

I probably got into manga because I was impatient at waiting for the anime episodes that were on tv to come every week XD and prob also wanted some variety in wat i could read/watch :)

HatsuneMikuDate: Wednesday, 2011-11-02, 2:18 PM | Message # 48
Sergeant
I got into Manga after watching Anime for years. I didn't even know most Animes were a adaption of Manga at the time. Anyways I after watching anime for awhile I started hearing people talk about how the Manga was better then the Anime or others complaining that certain Manga didn't become Anime. Anyways that peaked my curiousity so I went and googled it and found a site with manga and started reading it. Ever since then I've been in love with Manga.

sleeping_wolfDate: Saturday, 2011-11-05, 0:40 AM | Message # 49
Private
I got into manga a little after i realised what anime was and after i found out that anime were adaptions from manga. The main reasons why i started to read manga was because one of friends had brought on into class and at that time i had thought that there was only anime, the other reason is that i've always been interested in the art style and the dynamics of how its set out.

KleinkDate: Saturday, 2011-11-05, 5:09 AM | Message # 50
Private
Well, I was around 11 years old and a member of my kendo-club gave me a bag full of mixed books and manga. My 'entry drug' was Kenshin but it took no time at all for me to discover the joys of schounen-ai and yaoi. I still do enjoy a good shounen-manga, though.

Forum » Discussions » Manga/Manhwa » How did you get into manga and why?
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search: