Welcome, Guest!
Friday, 2024-04-19
Please check the donation page for more information.
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum » Discussions » Manga/Manhwa » What is your Least Genre?
What is your Least Genre?
PandoraDate: Monday, 2011-07-25, 11:39 PM | Message # 1
Colonel
Group: Administrator
I would have to say tragedy ones I tend to tear up very easily

im not a fan of smutt ones either shock and

not much of an ecchi fan either but i tend to still read them but thank goodness it isn't really hard stuff ><

Although it isn't a Genre I also really find open-ended endings very irritating DX

jetchanDate: Tuesday, 2011-07-26, 10:36 AM | Message # 2
Private
Group: Reader
The type of manga I avoid are those that cater merely to fan service even if it's not called for by the story. I hate sad endings too, but it's usually something you can't avoid unless you read it to the end.

PandoraDate: Tuesday, 2011-07-26, 1:39 PM | Message # 3
Colonel
Group: Administrator
very true, i don't mind the sad storiest i just hate how they make me cry XD. I know there is like two songs that always make me tear up DX and they are my favoriet songs T^T

AdrielDate: Tuesday, 2011-07-26, 6:14 PM | Message # 4
Private
Lol I actually love both tragedies and open endings! Tragedies and sad stories in general tend to touch me more, I can easily feel the pain, melancholy, angst, grief(I always preferred the original Little Mermaid ending rather than the happy Disney one)... Happy stories stories and comedies are boring to me since I only have a sense for black humour. I enjoy open endings since the author left something hidden and didn't spell the whole story out also every reader can imagine and analyse what could have happened.
And now for the topic I dislike fanservice since usually the story itself isn't good enough so I avoid ecchi and smut. As I already said comedy bores me and I'm not too fond of historical stories.

Message edited by Adriel - Tuesday, 2011-07-26, 6:17 PM

MisaDate: Monday, 2011-08-22, 10:25 AM | Message # 5
Private
I tend to try and avoid tragedy ones too, because I like happy endings. Of course, I know happy endings don't usually happen in reality (lol /jaded/), but I still like happiness in my manga. Another genre I tend to avoid is ecchi. But that's probably because I'm more of a yaoi/shounen ai fan than a ecchi/hentai fan. Yay
Also, I don't mind open endings, but I'd rather have hopeful open endings.

beenzDate: Saturday, 2011-08-27, 0:41 AM | Message # 6
Private
Shoticon, lolicon, anything that relates to little kids.

mokoDate: Saturday, 2011-08-27, 4:11 AM | Message # 7
Private
I hate shoujo and dramas and tragedy. And series with stupid plot. I'm a sensitive person ohs and sad story not for me. Shoujo... boring. It's just not for me

Message edited by moko - Saturday, 2011-08-27, 5:05 AM

juceDate: Saturday, 2011-08-27, 4:51 AM | Message # 8
Private
Me too, I really really don't like sad stories, so if a manga is labeled with "tragedy" I stay away from it.
Also, shoujo smut stories usually tend to suck, with a stupid heroine and a devilish man I don't like them either.

hoshikawaakariDate: Saturday, 2011-08-27, 5:13 AM | Message # 9
Private
I used to be a huge shoujo romance lover but it actually ended being at the bottom of my list mainly cause i got tired of the same thing and it was so old that i couldnt keep reading those categories over and over.But i still read it from time to time cause its refreshing and sometimes there's hose good ones that pop up.

xoxmwaDate: Saturday, 2011-08-27, 12:57 PM | Message # 10
Private
i dont really like plots that are typical shoujo (girl likes boy, boy is mean because of some stupid reason but by the end of the book they make up, go out and live happily ever after).
at first i started with shoujo but i dont even dare look at them now, because after 5/6 different stories one can easily tell the conclusion of the story, halfway through it -.-

NaoDate: Sunday, 2011-08-28, 3:02 AM | Message # 11
Private
I'm a fan of tragic stories, lol. I feel that without a bit of sadness, it's not complete. But as for what I avoid...I guess it'd be the obvious! If a story is given away just by the first 10 pages & is too typical, I will usually move on. I don't like figuring it out the minute I start reading, lol. Stories that are all over the place (like the mangaka has ADHD) are a bit of a turn off for me as well. I can't focus & follow the story they are trying to convey, lol.

cottoncandyDate: Tuesday, 2011-08-30, 3:09 PM | Message # 12
Private
My least favourite genre is definitely tragedy. Whenever I see that a story is a tragedy, I loose my interest and don`t even start to read. Rarely it happens that I actually read something that is tragedy, but that is only cause the story is so good, for example, SAVER manhwa. I read it while it was ongoing, and already was prepared that somebody will die (cause it was tragedy) and nobody did HOHO In the end it was actually a happy ending yeah
On mangafox the tragedy in genre was deleted (but that is after the scanlation was completed). It must have been some kind of mistake.

Message edited by cottoncandy - Tuesday, 2011-08-30, 3:10 PM

vampiresaviorDate: Monday, 2011-09-05, 5:49 PM | Message # 13
Private
my least favorite genre is harem. who doesn't love the idea of having a harem of boys to choose from? but my problem with the genre is they always end with someone i wouldn't pick! it's not like the video games where you get to choose, the mangas have them end up with the good guy (boring!! haha no i like good guys but i prefer the bad boys characters!! Kyah )

cassiopaeDate: Monday, 2011-09-05, 8:22 PM | Message # 14
Private
Gore... It turns my stomach shock

I read shojo only once in a while, when I feel like reading the usual cliched story so for me it's a pleasure rather than an annoyance lol And like most, I stay away from tregedy... It depresses me and I have better things to do than be depresssed! ;-)

huina_humeDate: Monday, 2011-09-05, 10:23 PM | Message # 15
Private
oww~ waw~ how should i say it., i don't have any in particularly., as long as the story is *well, it have to be* MEANINGFULL., wether it's homour or sappy, i'm able to love it Kyah

but., i'm very sure that i cannot enjoy YURI and HAREM shock

i love BISHOUNEN afterall Ds

LadyWolframDate: Wednesday, 2011-10-05, 11:13 AM | Message # 16
Private
whichever is less yuri and ecchi and shoujo-ai
everything else is welcome for me XD
principally tragedy and..... sad stories because i like cry (o.O)
i´m weird Yay

angelineDate: Saturday, 2011-10-22, 6:56 AM | Message # 17
Private
Ds Depend of the tragedy story, some story i like but some i dislike ~ sad and bad ending i wont read cos i will cry like crazy hehe. horror not my type i will have a bad dream. shock Prefer supernatural, shounen ai, yaoi, sci fi, action, adventure, school life & romance. Yay

( ^ - ^ ) ~

gohanshadowDate: Wednesday, 2011-11-09, 2:21 AM | Message # 18
Private
Tragedy and goro (probably spelled wrong). I hate bad endings and these two NEVER end well. :P BTW, if you don't know what goro is...don't look it up. It is messed up crap. shock

HatsuneMikuDate: Thursday, 2011-11-10, 11:36 PM | Message # 19
Sergeant
I have a love/hate relationship with Tragedy however My least favorite is Mecha :/ Just don't like them.

xanderDate: Tuesday, 2011-11-22, 7:27 AM | Message # 20
Private
Group: Member
Hmm... I like a wide variety of genres and demographics. Though I tend to steer clear of plotless smut, and especially hentai. If I feel like reading some PWP I'll stick to doujinshi, thank you. In the end, I suppose what I absolutely despise is typical shoujo manga, makes me cringe just thinking about it. That girl meets boy. Boy is a dbag to girl. Girl falls for dbag boy anyway. They live happily ever after. I'm just like... did I miss something here? Was there some chapter I forgot to read where everything suddenly makes sense?
Not that I hate all shoujo, just a large percentage of it.

Crystalc86Date: Monday, 2011-12-05, 3:15 PM | Message # 21
Private
i am like xander, i steer clear of the smut and hentai stuff, but also the major/supreme gore stuff that just pop up out of no where or dominants a story just to show bloodshed. If there is to be smut, it has to make sense like part of a plot ... like the stuff you see in harlequin romance mangas or the korean/japanese/chinese mangas where two lovers finally discover that they truly love each other and will never part each other ever again *sigh* those also make me cry at the heart wretching break up scenes T______T---but anyway, random hentai/smut and uber gore are the genres that i steer clear of and dislike >_>

majestic_stormDate: Monday, 2012-01-02, 3:41 AM | Message # 22
Private
I definitely avoid tragedies, they just make me all depressed, and I don't think I need that in my life. I used to read shoujo nonstop, but now I avoid that too because I find it boring. The plotlines are so cliche, and after reading yaoi, I find the girls annoying and sometimes quite stupid.

shnuppiDate: Friday, 2012-01-13, 11:57 AM | Message # 23
Private
I stay away form yuri the most. It makes me feel uncomfortable, even though i like yaoi just fine.

I also avoid story lines that are too information-based, and there too much text to keep me interested. Some historical genres tend to do that=_=

And i do not enjoy non-con and BD SM but there seems to be a lot of it. especially in fan-fic.

bluerose83Date: Saturday, 2012-01-21, 10:58 PM | Message # 24
Private
Quote (beenz)

I hate those too.

I also can't stand open endings. If I have an imagination to create my own stories to begin with, then I wouldn't really need to read anything. I hate the whole "leave it to the reader's imagination" thing.

Rape is also a pet peeve of mine. I can tolerate it to a certain degree, but it annoys me when the victim falls in love with the rapist for no good reason other then they had "sex".

catpipeDate: Monday, 2012-01-23, 0:34 AM | Message # 25
Private
I cannot handle Yuri at all and tragic stories. Sad stories always makes me cry especially when animals are involved.

Message edited by catpipe - Monday, 2012-01-23, 0:36 AM

DafneDate: Monday, 2012-02-06, 1:42 PM | Message # 26
Private
mmm i usually like to read the manga/manhwa to see if i like it or not, so there isn't really an exact genre i avoid to read (yeah even echii ...) but i do have a list of thing that make me abandon a story:
- excess of fanservice (guess why)
- sloooow story development (seriously, something has to happen)
- mary sueness (or gary stuism whatever) specially from the lead character
- excess of cliches

And well i think that's all altough now that i think about it, i also try to avoid harem stories (regular or inverted) unless it's just a secondary background, when the whole set is like ¿Who wil he/she choose? it's just boring

ChippDate: Thursday, 2012-02-16, 2:46 PM | Message # 27
Private
I don't read shounen-ai/yaoi and shoujo-ai/yuri. I also don't try to read manhwa, I think that I prefer the japanese manga better.

shadowheartsDate: Saturday, 2012-02-18, 1:48 PM | Message # 28
Private
i would say it's horror, because i can't stand horror(that applies to everything that has to do with horror)

NaishoDate: Thursday, 2012-03-01, 8:04 AM | Message # 29
Private
I don't mind shoujo mangas. I don't mind romance mangas. But put shoujo and romance together and I avoid it like a plague. On occasion, having comedy in the mix could convince me otherwise but most of the time, it doesn't. I like strong female leads and shoujo-romance mangas don't usually have them. And the overused plot bores me already =3=

I also tend to avoid gender-bender mangas but not as much as shoujo-romance. I'd rather have the females, female and males, male. Same with yaoi. If I want a girly girl uke, I'd go read some shoujo, not yaoi.

MidoriDate: Saturday, 2012-03-10, 4:09 AM | Message # 30
Lieutenant
Any genre is fine, really. Be it smut, shoujo, ecchi, tragedy, romance and such as long as it is NOT cliche! I always tend to get bored easily when a certain manga is cliche or when the story is banal! It's cause everytime I guess what's gonna happen next, that is what's literally gonna happen next and I'm the kinda gal who likes thrill and suspense while reading, if you ever see me jumping and squealing (something like this --> Kyah ) that probably means I'll be reading the manga until it's completed So, no, I don't really have a "least" genre but if you can count "cliche" as a genre then yea, cliche is my least genre

I love reading manga I love my mom~!

chomioDate: Saturday, 2012-06-16, 9:53 AM | Message # 31
Private
Quote (juce)
Me too, I really really don't like sad stories, so if a manga is labeled with "tragedy" I stay away from it.

I don't like it either, certainly because it always (most of the time) let my favorite personage die.

But I absolutely avoid shotacon and lolicon, and certainly if it's in combination with explicit content.
I hit on it accidentally ( it was part of a collection of short story's), it was disguising, I did not read anything anymore from that Mangaka.

shimaDate: Tuesday, 2012-10-09, 7:51 AM | Message # 32
Private
i'm definitely not into horror or super gore manga. i'm not into junji ito's mangas either. they're weird, creepy, and simply put, "eww" for me. i like the drawing, but the mangas ito-sensei has made, i am never, ever, ever, ever going to read it ever again. i once read uzumaki and felt kind of sick and creeped out. i'm not into horror cause basically i dont like those kind of stories and makes me have nightmares, despite my age.

catpipe8473Date: Tuesday, 2012-10-09, 8:38 AM | Message # 33
Sergeant
I would generally stay away from tragedy genres unless I really wanted a good cry.
But the genres I will definitely not read are yuri and hentai.

kayueDate: Tuesday, 2012-10-09, 9:47 PM | Message # 34
Private
Horror and/or tragedy. Gore and Bara also come to mind. But I generally will give most things a try.
I'm a sucker for a happy ending.

But I will read well written tragedy, Sakura Gari comes to mind.

KumikoDate: Wednesday, 2012-10-10, 6:21 AM | Message # 35
Private
Quote (beenz)

These genres I try to avoid like fire.
I do not like yuri and ecchi but I do not mind hentai, and I'm not fond of harem.

Moon-AngelicaDate: Sunday, 2012-11-04, 0:22 AM | Message # 36
Private
I dislike extreme pointless fanservice and serious stereotyping like weak uke/strong seme, rape turns to love etc. I'll only read things with these if there is a strong story or characters, though that's pretty thin on the ground.

airconzDate: Saturday, 2012-11-17, 7:21 AM | Message # 37
Private
this is gonna be weird but
...shoujo

I'm probably just a cynical person but I find myself picking out cliches, getting annoyed at the main character as well as the love interests and getting frustrated altogether because of how stupid some main characters can be

I've a feeling it's because Haruhi from Ouran set a pretty high bar for me ahaha

But when I come across a shoujo with well written characters, it becomes an instant favourite

I really like jousei stories though!

chibikariDate: Tuesday, 2012-12-25, 5:15 PM | Message # 38
Private
I usually stay clear of Meccha, since I really am not into it much. But there are a few exceptions to that like Full Metal Panic. As long as it entertains me and I enjoy it, I would usually read almost anything. But Meccha and probably something full of buff men....just don't attract me too much.

DoomCooki3eDate: Tuesday, 2012-12-25, 9:21 PM | Message # 39
Private
well for me, i not a fan of Yuri. I tried but always stopped after 1 chapter.

korf73Date: Wednesday, 2012-12-26, 4:27 PM | Message # 40
Private
I normally avoid tragedy, horror or mangas that have "gore". I prefer happy endings, although I'm fine if there are scenes that make me cry as long as the ending is good, i.e every time that I read some arcs from Ze I cry.

kakariccaDate: Thursday, 2016-01-28, 7:02 AM | Message # 41
Private
I'm a quite open minded person. I read different genres of manga. But some types of manga are too much even for me. Ecchi, hentai and hardcore shota/yaoi are not my cup of tea.  ohs

searachan1104Date: Saturday, 2016-01-30, 10:42 AM | Message # 42
Private
I am a open-minded person, so I can easily be into any genres except for: bara (a sub-genre in BL) and horror.
No offense but I feel bara somehow disgusting and I hate the moment being scared by something unreal.
However, sometimes I want to try something new and I read those two and at the end I still don't feel like them. =))))

galla4yaoiDate: Monday, 2016-02-01, 1:41 AM | Message # 43
Private
I would have to say shoujo. I have read a few great shoujo (The One by Nicky Lee, Princess by Han Seung-Won), but all in all, I usually find it irritating. I can't often relate to the heroine at all, and the qualities that seem to be seen as attractive for the hero are really UNattractive (pushy, egotistical, even cruel). It's weird because you find a lot of that in yaoi too but it doesn't bother me nearly as much for some reason.

black813fujoshiDate: Wednesday, 2016-02-03, 10:30 PM | Message # 44
Private

Reverse Harem I guess? I'm those what you call heroine-haters squad member. IDK I just don't like their personality. So dumb much klutz :")))
Except Ouran, Haruhi is justice served in reverse harem universe.

Then there's angst. You invest all of your emotion just to have them crushed by the author... why did youhave to kill my baby bubu???? ;A;

howoriginalllDate: Monday, 2016-02-15, 9:11 AM | Message # 45
Private
I am not a fan of shoujo I think, I used to really like it but I grew out of it. Maybe I read too much? So I know all kinds of story-lines, I have yet to find out that I find is very original. I suppose you could argue that shounen-ai/yaoi is very repetitive but, I guess I just like drawings of guys :p

terribletea96Date: Monday, 2016-02-15, 11:43 AM | Message # 46
Private
I'm read everything under the sun, but I'm not a huge fan of shoujo. Dense Shoujo heroines sometimes make me wanna rip my hair out.

firesong17Date: Tuesday, 2016-02-16, 1:46 AM | Message # 47
Private
i most dislike the horror genre, for the most part they are very predictable.

skybrownieDate: Monday, 2016-05-16, 12:49 PM | Message # 48
Private
I don't like horror or any of terror ..
I think it is because i am afraid of ..that..
It is the unknown but it scare me.

If i watch or read it, it will definitely in my mind and it will pop up when I am alone --'
I will avoid as much as possible ..

isabeau_321Date: Tuesday, 2016-05-24, 2:03 PM | Message # 49
Private
Hentai. I don't like anything too smutty in general.
Or terribly romantic shojo. I'm too old for that.

pyromancer_firewireDate: Tuesday, 2016-05-24, 6:16 PM | Message # 50
Private
I read almost anything except very romantic shojo, or something that I cannot find plausible at all.
But usually I find that a lot of shojo mangas have one of the main characters who I find very annoying, e.g. too clingy, cries too easily, etc., and I really dislike that.

Forum » Discussions » Manga/Manhwa » What is your Least Genre?
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: