Welcome, Guest!
Thursday, 2024-03-28
Please check the donation page for more information.
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Forum » Discussions » Manga/Manhwa » What Do You Look at First for a Series?
What Do You Look at First for a Series?
totodoodooDate: Sunday, 2011-04-24, 7:53 PM | Message # 1
Private
Group: Reader
Alright, when you are looking for a new series to read what is the first thing that you look for in one?

I'd say I first look for a series that is actually scanlated first... but let's not count that as an available option.

The very next thing I'd look at is summary of the series to determine if I like the premise.

So, how about you?

PandoraDate: Sunday, 2011-04-24, 9:10 PM | Message # 2
Colonel
Group: Administrator
Well the series i look for to read are usually at up and scanned/scanning. what I look first is summary or the name to see if it catches my eye. Then I look at the gene, if i like the summary.

thats how it mostly happens

Hibari-Tsuna-4-everDate: Sunday, 2011-04-24, 9:16 PM | Message # 3
Yaoi Lover
Group: Administrator
Hmmm...the first think i do it's i see if its complete or not.....I rarely read manga that are not complete.

Then i see if the drawing its good.

After that i see what genres it is. If the genres it has r good, i look at the summary.

I read it even if the summary its not good. (most of the times i do this.) I do this cause summaries sometimes are not that good, and then it'll make me want to NOT read it.

AikoaikoDate: Sunday, 2011-04-24, 10:46 PM | Message # 4
Private
I think the first thing that attracts me is the art. If the art is to my interest I will look for a synopsis of the manga and if its interesting I'd read it. I sometimes look at the genre too.

LennieDate: Monday, 2011-04-25, 2:36 AM | Message # 5
Private
As conceited as this might sound but the first thing i look for is the art. I only pick up a serie if the cover art grabs my attention. That is how i determine what to borrow at the library too, i look through the covers. Once i find a a cover that interest me, i read the summary and if they are good, then i would read it.

Message edited by Lennie - Monday, 2011-04-25, 2:46 AM

bellldaDate: Monday, 2011-04-25, 5:58 AM | Message # 6
Private
At first I always search for good looking manga. When I don't like art on the cover page I usually don't read it and sometimes when someone tells me It's great manga I would give it second chance. I just need nice art! Then I usually look for its summary on mangaupdates and if I like it I search for scanlation of manga. Yay

dashDate: Monday, 2011-04-25, 6:18 AM | Message # 7
Sergeant
First I check the author and the artist. To see if I've read something else from the same source and to make an impression. Then I look for the summary. And indeed, for me too, the art has to be good. But the plot also. There are many mangas I started reading only because the art was good...But after 2-3 chapters I got bored.

ShelinDate: Monday, 2011-04-25, 7:41 AM | Message # 8
Private
I like to read all the mangas of my favourite artists but then the first thing I do is check the cover and then the description, sometimes I dont even read it, because I will know if I like it by reading the manga not the description.

Message edited by Shelin - Monday, 2011-04-25, 7:41 AM

LoreDate: Monday, 2011-04-25, 10:26 AM | Message # 9
Private
First for me it's the artwork since I don't like to read something that has an interesting way of drawing! shock

Then it's the summary since with that I'll know if it's interesting for me, if I like it I'll read the first chapter and after knowing I like it I'll try to wait for a completed manga but I know it'll take forever so I sometimes end up reading chapter by chaper over and over since I always forget what I read after so many things I download! L

virtual1979Date: Monday, 2011-04-25, 10:47 AM | Message # 10
Private
My vote goes for art quality and then followed by storyline. I'm a graphics-oriented person, so although a manga has an epic storyline, but if the art style doesn't suit me, I won't be able to get into reading it. But the reverse doesn't hold true.. even if the story is the same old stuff, as long as there's really well-drawn characters in there (especially good-looking bishies), I'm willing to spend the next hours reading through that manga.

hassliebeDate: Monday, 2011-04-25, 4:53 PM | Message # 11
Private
I check the art first, if it catches my attention then I read the summary, since I don't really pay attention to the genre. As long as the story sounds good, I'll read it. If I like both things, the I start reading it, even if most of the times I suffer because the series is still on-going.

It also happens, that if I read a review which highly reccomends to read the story giving solid reasons, I look for it and give it a try, even if the art is not that appealing. But if I really dislike the art, it's almost sure that I'll drop it.

FathomDate: Monday, 2011-04-25, 5:26 PM | Message # 12
Private
1.) Artwork has to be eye catching.
2.) Storyline has to be intelligble w/ good story pacing. I'll ignore this if there are alot sof bishies. HOHO
3.) If there are more than one scanlated chapter and it's still ongoing periodically w/in 30 days.
4.) Whether the series has been discontinued, licensed and etc.
5.) Sometimes I'll check out raws of completely new series just because I love that author.

daniyagamiDate: Monday, 2011-04-25, 7:37 PM | Message # 13
Private
I usually check the art and the plot first. If I like the art and the story looks interesting I usually read. I dont like to read mangas that I dont like the art. And if the story becomes boring after a while I stop to reading.
I prefer to download complete mangas but there are some mangas that I'm foillowing right now because I really like the mangakas.
I hate when a series is canceled.

BerylDate: Monday, 2011-04-25, 10:58 PM | Message # 14
Private
For me, it's a combo of story and plot. Story is more important though. It needs to be interesting with characters who aren't total Mary Sues. I get annoyed with characters who just do dumb things constantly. Once is forgivable. Over and over again is annoying. I do like drama though

I have to like the artwork. If I find the artwork awkward then it takes me a long time to get through a manga. As far as something being complete or not complete. I am sad when I find out a series has been dropped but I'll still read it and just live in hope someone will pick it up.

IchigoDate: Monday, 2011-04-25, 11:41 PM | Message # 15
Sergeant
I would say artwork/storyline is the most important. Of course, I must like the characters too, hopefully there's also character development or else it be a bore.

midoriko83Date: Tuesday, 2011-04-26, 11:40 AM | Message # 16
Private
Group: Member
The first thing I look wen I consider reading a manga/manhwa are of course storyline and art.
The second thing is the author; I look forward anytime for a new manga/manhwa artist, alongside my favorite artists like: LEE Hyeon-Sook (Flowers of Evil, Seduction More Beautiful Than Love, Savage Garden, Sunaebo), KIM Se Young (Sweet Blood (KIM Se-Young), Kiss Me Princess or Boy Princess, Devil's Bride (KIM Sae-Young)), Tateno Makoto, Miike Romuko, Dany&Dany and many others.
The third thing I take notice is the gender, wether they are yaoi, shonen ai, shojo, horror, drama or with a specific categorie like vampire/s, old fashion drawing, angst, etc.

BabyRalukutzaDate: Thursday, 2011-04-28, 6:45 AM | Message # 17
Private
For me, the most important thing is the art. If i like how it's drawn, then i start reading it. After, it's of course the storyline. If it's extremely long and boring or has a stupid story i quit (which i already did with some of the mangas that i started reading). I usually read the ones that are not very long and that can keep me so hooked up that once i start it i don't let go before i finish it.

Miao-MiaoDate: Thursday, 2011-04-28, 10:36 AM | Message # 18
Private
Artwork always comes first, though not necessarily a requisite followed by the storyline. Protagonists should be amiable or intriguing at the very least. Bs

hutaruDate: Thursday, 2011-04-28, 12:02 PM | Message # 19
Private
Well, the first thing i look at is if it is scanlated or is being scanlated, then i look at the art ( yeah i'm an artfreak),
at least the summary and the genre, the genre is not so important i read everything if the storyline is good Bs

crystaldeeDate: Wednesday, 2011-05-04, 1:46 PM | Message # 20
Private
The drawing. It's for visual need XD
Then the story..I love sweet and romantic story...
Then the ending. Happy end or Sad ending plays an important part for me to decide on buying the book/manga ^__^

kpDate: Friday, 2011-05-06, 5:45 AM | Message # 21
Private
I guess its a combination of art Mangaka and story line, but i prefer completed mangas, remember waiting a year and half for Nodame Cantabile to be taken up again ohhhhhhhhh the agony! also skip beat its like each chapter makes anticipation worse so these days I really prefer completed series cant stand the wait!

utdgavDate: Sunday, 2011-05-08, 11:04 PM | Message # 22
Private
Interesting. The question wasn't asking for quite what I thought it was. I'll answer both possibilities then:

I tend to use mangaupdates a lot, so the first thing I look at when a new series comes up as scanned is the group doing the work, since most groups work with certain authors and genres. My eyeballs will look at the cover image, but I look at genre to see if it's worth my time to read the summary. Even if I can't read Chinese well, I can still purchase TW/HK raws, or read Spanish/Italian scans, so that doesn't affect me too much.

Since latter respondants seem to responding to the other side of the question:

Story is most important to me. If the art is gorgeous, I can tolerate a mediocre story. If the story sucks, no art can save it for me, but if the story is good enough, I can ignore bad art. If both art and story are blah, sometimes a very interesting concept will still grab my attention, but that usually doesn't last unless the story develops.

Jergens011Date: Monday, 2011-05-09, 3:32 AM | Message # 23
Private
i read the summary first, if i find it interesting ill go for it but it depends on the art too. Because sometimes the summary is worth reading but the art sucks.

mojoxphileDate: Monday, 2011-05-09, 8:27 AM | Message # 24
Private
Art work usually catches my attention at first, then summary of story. I will usually read first chapter of anything, it has to grab me in that first chapter before I continue.

noopDate: Tuesday, 2011-05-10, 1:26 AM | Message # 25
Private
I'm pretty shallow so if the art looks nice and if the characters are good looking I will then be more interested in reading the summary. But ultimately I read something based on how interesting the summary is. If I still can't decide then sometimes I'll read it if there are a lot of good reviews for it.

JiNXDate: Tuesday, 2011-05-10, 1:55 AM | Message # 26
Private
Without a doubt, the storyline. I need something that's going to keep me intrigued. Though, beautiful art is always a plus, but not necessary. If I can't stay immersed into a story, then I don't want to waste the time to read it.

tamDate: Saturday, 2011-07-02, 3:18 AM | Message # 27
Private
1) I check the genre to see if it's what I'm in the mood to read at the time.
2) I check the art work of the cover to see if it's good and a style I like.
3) I check who the author is.
4) I check who is scanlating it. I know which groups do the type I like to read.
5) I check to see if it's been dropped either by the author or scanlators...I hate to get into something that may never be finished.

That's what I check to download the first chapter or open the first page. To continue reading it has to have a good story with characters that I can enjoy.

aryDate: Tuesday, 2011-07-05, 4:48 AM | Message # 28
Private
mostly serious stuff with some comedy but that can be rare to find though that can change with my mood. but if i read a comedy when pissed off it makes my mood worse for some reason.

woolexsDate: Tuesday, 2011-07-05, 4:53 AM | Message # 29
Private
well, usually i will try to look at first before i start the series is the arts and story line. If the drawing is ugly then sorry they aren't interested.

hinshihoushiDate: Tuesday, 2011-07-05, 5:17 AM | Message # 30
Private
Cover art is a big help, since they create it in order to pull readers in. If the best they can do looks crappy, then what does that say about the maga itself. Mangaka, genre, synopsis and artwork too.

momokoDate: Tuesday, 2011-07-05, 3:11 PM | Message # 31
Private
for me the most imprtant thing is the genre then the art last but not least the mangaka

juceDate: Tuesday, 2011-07-05, 3:24 PM | Message # 32
Private
First, I make sure the manga is fully available in English (completely scanlated or released) and I download/buy everything about it. The art should be pretty, I usually decide to start a manga judging by its cover and the storyline should be at least a little different than the ones I read before and interesting.

lovemodeDate: Monday, 2011-07-25, 10:12 PM | Message # 33
Private
Definitely the artwork HOHO If it's so ugly, then i can't read it. My type is KAWAI Touko's or MINASE Masara's. I love these senseis, they are so amazing, good artwork and great storyline L

AniDate: Monday, 2011-07-25, 10:39 PM | Message # 34
Private
The very first thing for a new manga that I read is the illustration. It must be catching my eyes.

After that it's the plot, of course. Nice images but bad fame work will stop me to continue reading.

The last but not least, mangaka. Yes, it is also an important criterion when I decide to read a manga or not.

eggplantDate: Monday, 2011-07-25, 10:46 PM | Message # 35
Private
Well first, I look at what's scanlated, then I check out the illustrations. I can't bear to read a story if I don't like the way characters are drawn. Then, I read a summary and if it looks nice, I'll read the first few chapters online to see how it is before I download. But usually, I'm not as picky initially and I'll download anything that looks nice and then I weed them out as I go through my 'To Read' folder.

zara_kiDate: Tuesday, 2011-07-26, 0:13 AM | Message # 36
Private
good looking guys of course!!! but then sometimes the art may not look really good, but the storyline is soooooo great makes the art looks better than it should be. teehee

gorevlyerDate: Tuesday, 2011-07-26, 1:20 AM | Message # 37
Private
first, I turn the pages to see whether there are silly faces.
I mean most of the shoujo mangas have them.
Stupid girls with a silly smiling faces.
I am a yaoi reader and I hate shoujo-like yaoi stories. I really hate them.

StarlightDate: Tuesday, 2011-07-26, 2:44 AM | Message # 38
Private
The first thing that usually catches my attention is the artwork. However, if there's good artwork and a bad plot line I won't finish reading it. I like a story that can capture my attention and have me waiting for more. I also like well rounded and well developed characters. I don't like overly emotional or stupid characters too much.

iamsoocoolDate: Tuesday, 2011-07-26, 3:07 AM | Message # 39
Private
Art, no question. WHen I first pick up a book, I flip through teh pages to make sure teh art appeases me. Then I read the back info and see if it is something I want. If i dont like what im seeing, I dont want to read it. It may seem shallow, but for me, who reads mostly romace stuff anyways, I want to be able to liek the way thinsg look.

juceDate: Tuesday, 2011-07-26, 3:10 AM | Message # 40
Private
I guess I judge the book by its cover. If the cover looks good I give it a go. I think this is a normal thing with manga books, usually the deciding factor is the art rather than the story but if the story turned out bad, I immediately drop it.

hgc100Date: Tuesday, 2011-07-26, 8:34 AM | Message # 41
Private
At first, I will take a carefully look at the cover lol I think the cover can say many things like the art and story, genre, rating...
You can say that "love at the first sight" lol For example, I read I-Ren by Aivan first because of the very beautiful cover XD
But starting reading a manga/manhwa doesn't mean you will read it for long if the story is not interesting at all 8-> I'm always looking for both special story and beautiful art in one manga/manhwa.

The first chapter/volume is very important XDD I can read whole volume just because I like the first chapter lol This may tell you what the story will grow. When I read the first volume of One Piece, I have the feeling this is a long great one :))
Character is sometimes the key makes you like a series XD I like characters Natsuno in Shiki by Ono Fuyumi and Fujisaki Ryu, Kaoru in Aishuu by Minase Masara, Maya in Garasu no Kamen... And not wrong that they make me read all of them :">

Trên hai vai ta đôi vầng nhật nguyệt.
Rọi suốt trăm năm...
...một cõi đi về.

jesbDate: Tuesday, 2011-07-26, 8:47 AM | Message # 42
Private
I think the main and most important thing in a manga is the story and the characters. A manga is nothing without its backbone, which to me is the characters, and without a good story it'll get boring. i can love bad art if the characters are lovable. but i cannot love a boring story.

jetchanDate: Tuesday, 2011-07-26, 10:41 AM | Message # 43
Private
when I browse for new english manga at the book store, I usually look at the cover art 1st. If i like the character designs & the Title, I read the series introduction printed at the back. I buy the 1st volume & if it turns out way interesting, i check the web for scans, but will continue to buy them for my collection. A manga in hand is way way fun to carry around!

Lilychan06Date: Wednesday, 2011-07-27, 1:30 AM | Message # 44
Private
First I look at the author because I have a list in my head of authors I read everything by, if I don't recognize the author then I look at the summary while looking at the art too. I just can't get pass some of the very out there art. Priority to reading also goes to if the scanlation is finish I hate to be left in a cliffhanger but I still read ongoing series if the story is interesting enough.

zeroDate: Saturday, 2011-08-27, 10:41 AM | Message # 45
Private
The first thing I look at is if it's completely scanlated..and if not how long the series is and how fast the scanlator are...and how much is allready scanlated....

afterwards I look at the cover... than the summary and than rating or comments of other reader....
if everything fits I start reading...

Anime_AngelDate: Saturday, 2011-08-27, 11:45 AM | Message # 46
Private
The first thing that captures me is the name, then I look at the genres to see if its what I like in a manga, next I read the summary and see if its a story that can interest me. Lastly I check the artwork.

xoxmwaDate: Saturday, 2011-08-27, 12:53 PM | Message # 47
Private
the first thing i look at is the mangaka. if its someone i already read a previous work and liked i would not hesitate to try a new story buy the same person.

if i never heard of the artist/author, then first i look at the art and after the plot, eventhough there were those exceptions where the art was poor, yet the story was so captivating that i still read it...

NaoDate: Sunday, 2011-08-28, 3:10 AM | Message # 48
Private
I look at genre, cover art, mangaka, scanlator, & finally summary.

I like specific genres, so if it happens to fall under one I love, I snatch it up ASAP. I love beauty so good art is a major plus. Sometimes (rarely) the picture is too small/blurry/etc to see well, so I check the mangaka. If I know them, then I already know their style & can tell If I'll like it or not & if they are someone I've never encountered; I can look forward to an adventure. I'll then check the scan group because all groups have their own style, their own taste in manga. If it's by a group I enjoy, I'll look forward to reading it. Finally there is the summary. I usually skip that because it hardly matters to me. I read almost anything, anyways, lol.

voidchildDate: Sunday, 2011-08-28, 9:17 AM | Message # 49
Private
My answer's probably similar to most here, but for me, definitely the artwork. Pretty/beautiful artwork is obviously a plus side, but decent styles (mainly for shounen-type manga like Yu Yu Hakusho or HunterxHunter) is good too XD Next would be plotline :D!! or just whether the series is entertaining or not XD~~
Take Yakitate Japan for example, a series about a guy who wants to spread/share his 'Japan' bread among the world XDXDXD The artwork is decent, and seriously entertaining Bs Bs !!! <-- plot sounds weird but its gooddddd!!

huina_humeDate: Monday, 2011-09-05, 11:19 PM | Message # 50
Private
well., when i buy some book or manga i will see the author at first., that's also the way how do i look for a series.,

check the AUTHOR first,. then if i don't really know the author, it should be the ARTWORK (it must be containted with bishounen though ahahahaha)., again, even if the character is not very good-looking but, if the COLOUR AND DESIGN compotition of the cover is catching my eyes then i'm sure that i will read the SUMMARY right away., that's all, the way i choose my manga Yay

Forum » Discussions » Manga/Manhwa » What Do You Look at First for a Series?
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search: