Welcome, Guest!
Friday, 2024-04-19
Please check the donation page for more information.
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Discussions » Manga/Manhwa » How did you get into manga and why?
How did you get into manga and why?
tainanDate: Sunday, 2011-11-06, 10:44 PM | Message # 51
Private
Group: Member
Since when i was really small i liked Japan, so when i was kind of 6 years i started to watch Dragon Ball, Ultraman, Silor Moon (nice oldies...) of course that all of that would lead me to become an otome later...

serqeyDate: Monday, 2011-11-07, 2:15 PM | Message # 52
Private
Group: Reader
L I started reading manga when my friend in high school open a link for me for "hikaru no go" it was very interesting & the drawing was really good...got hooked up & then accidentally clicked a link for sakura-crisis since I was exploring while waiting for the releases then ended up downloading & reading "love mode" after that I got hooked reading manga specifically yaoi/shonen-ai....not too much for shounen or other genre occasionally when i find the story really interesting....

gohanshadowDate: Wednesday, 2011-11-09, 1:48 AM | Message # 53
Private
I also got into the anime first and didn't even consider reading manga. However, while looking for music videos on youtube, I found yaoi amv's. It made me curious about the storyline. So I started reading it a lot. Then, my eyes got a little weak often. The lines in novels became painful to read, but the spacing between words in mangas were perfect and there was no pain. My eyes got better, but the addiction was permanent. I have spent a LOT of money buying those yaoi. ohs

Sonk_HachiDate: Monday, 2011-11-14, 1:03 PM | Message # 54
Sergeant
I like read many comic-stips like "Topolino". One day I saw on a shelf near Topolino there was a manga(Kingdom Hearts) and attracted by drawing I had began to read it. ohs
At the last I bought the manga and I was searching other like Kingdom Hearts! ^w^

ast0neDate: Friday, 2011-11-18, 4:22 PM | Message # 55
Private
When I was 16 I was dead set against anime and manga and the like. I thought it was silly and stupid to be so attached to cartoon characters. Well my friends, die hard fans, didn't like this much so they coerced me into watching one episode of Gundam Wing, their current favourite. Well after one episode I was curious after two I was hooked. I was such a sucker. I poured myself into that world of goodness and when I ran out of anime I wanted to watch I started reading manga. I now own over 1000 manga and manwha and several series and movies of anime. I'm an addict. I would spend my whole paycheck on the stuff if I didn't have pesky little things like bills, rent and necessities to pay for. My friends never let me forget that I scoffed and scorned them. Thats the last time I ever did that to someone. I learned my lesson. Never make fun of someones likes and dislikes.
I still get the urge to watch Gundam Wing every once in a while. Go back to my roots lol. My paretns keep saying it's a fad but after 10 years of addiction I think they are just wishful dreamers XD
Anima and Manga/Manwha you rock! T-Ups

"Morals are relative"
"Logics for the weak"

LhaewethDate: Saturday, 2011-11-19, 9:34 AM | Message # 56
Private
huh for the life of me I can't remember....
oh wait! I think it was kinda by chance, I was about 15yo and I think I was searching for info about an animation series that I used to see when I was younger (Saint Seyia) and I found out there was a book, manga obviously, that had originated it so I looked for it... yeah I think that's how it went... and shortly after that I was introduced to yaoi and got hoocked! and that was the beginning of an addiction that's lasted 13 years!

xanderDate: Tuesday, 2011-11-22, 6:43 AM | Message # 57
Private
I would say my gateway drug into manga was Fruits Basket... Way back when I was first getting into anime, I watched Fruits Basket but I was so disappointed with the ending, I didn't even get to see all of the zodiac. So I searched out for a novel or some continuation of the series and found the manga, which I proceeded to read. But I didn't really get big into manga until I read Prince of Tennis, which despite having watched Loveless, was my gateway drug into yaoi and who could blame me? All of those incredibly hot men doing outrageous things with their tennis rackets... ohs That sounded suss... but I would totally read that. *is a closet pervert*

eclipse100Date: Thursday, 2011-12-08, 8:31 PM | Message # 58
Private
I was never into comics when I was a kid. But my friend told me about manga when I was at a bookstore and so I tried a series (Fruits Basket). I found the art nice to look at (for me the art of the comic like marvel did not really interest me at that age) and the story was nice. So I continued to read manga and then manhwa.

tkoDate: Thursday, 2011-12-15, 6:14 PM | Message # 59
Private
I've been a fan of anime for ages now, but I only got into manga a bit over a year ago, after I watched Sekirei, and desperately needed to know how the story continues.nd then I worked myself forward from online readers to the actual scanlators.

Message edited by tko - Thursday, 2011-12-15, 6:25 PM

FlaXx0RDate: Friday, 2011-12-30, 9:32 AM | Message # 60
Private
it was when i saw the Dragon Ball series in a bookstore and i really loved Dragon Ball since i was 7-8 years old amd when i saw it i just had to get it and on thing led to another and here i am today :D

MiertenDate: Friday, 2011-12-30, 1:10 PM | Message # 61
Private
I got into it through the Sandman series. When I visited a friend, I was always reading her books. One time, I read the Sandman series and was turned on by how well the visuals added to the story. From there, I mentioned it to another friend and got the comment of "well, if you like that one, you might want to try ..."
I was hooked.

PawynDate: Friday, 2011-12-30, 3:31 PM | Message # 62
Private
Hmm, I think I got into manga because I started with anime aired on TV when I was like 5. Coincidentally the ones I prefered where always the Japanese ones, so once I knew about manga and where to get them, I naturally started manga. Now I mostly read manga and barely follow any anime XP

teikaeiDate: Friday, 2011-12-30, 10:40 PM | Message # 63
Private
to tell truth, i perfer to watch animes than read mangas at first, and i've never read a manga until i got my job started!!
becoz of my job, i began reading some, at first, of course, sekaiichi hatsukoi L
but time by time, i started to try reading more, the amazing happened. the more i read, the more i got intetrested in them.
recently, i'm addicted to another!!!! really amazing one!!!!!
and looking forward to its anime!

gumboDate: Friday, 2011-12-30, 10:51 PM | Message # 64
Private
It all started with the classic anime Berserk. I had been watching it and started searching on the internet for information about the characters. I came across a site that discussed the anime being based on a manga, which lead me to look up 'what is manga'. :)

recureDate: Saturday, 2011-12-31, 0:17 AM | Message # 65
Private
i think i get into manga when i watched doraemon anime (still a kid that time) then my mother bought me the manga then from that time i start reading and then thanks to internet now i'm still reading manga(of course i buy it if it licensed in my country)

elocynDate: Sunday, 2012-01-01, 2:30 AM | Message # 66
Private
I started out renting anime (yes, renting!) and transitioned to reading the manga of whatever anime I was watching. I love to read so the transition was somewhat natural.

Roy13Date: Sunday, 2012-01-01, 3:03 PM | Message # 67
Private
A long story but start with Saint Seya, it was the first well know anime im my coutry or the first anime that I saw and I was really young. After SS came aong Sailor Moon, Yuyu Hakusho, Shurato.... After a long time without anime, cuz they stopped to been showed in TV and I get acess to internet I started discover a fantastic world of animes and mangas.
So I started with anime and then get the manga. I do love both. ohs

majestic_stormDate: Monday, 2012-01-02, 3:33 AM | Message # 68
Private
I used to go to the library to check out comic books, and one day I saw, what I thought it was when I was in 6th grade, a "very prettily drawn comic book" called Tokyo Mew Mew that had to be read backwards. I was told later that it was called a "manga" and I've been hooked into manga ever since (even though my tastes have changed....drastically ;) )

IMustBeInsaneDate: Tuesday, 2012-01-03, 0:22 AM | Message # 69
Private
My mom had always forbidden anime in the house because of that one seizure-causing Pokemon episode (for some reason, that meant all anime was bad? I cannot fathom my mother at all!), so unlike most of my generation, I did not grow up watching Pokemon or Sailor Moon. When I started making friends with people who read manga in 10th grade, my mom would talk about how they were "such nice kids, but read that trash" so, me being the good little girl that I was, I swore a solemn oath to not read "trash like that." One of my friends found out about this and decided to make it her personal challenge to turn me into a reader, so she used my greatest weakness against me: my curiosity. Once that was aroused, it was easy for her to slide books into my backpack or my hands with the knowledge that I would read them and come back for more...

ImmaDate: Tuesday, 2012-01-03, 1:13 PM | Message # 70
Private
UAU!! For me it was Heidi and after that Dragon Ball. I remember my childhood watching Song Goku and company every afternoon after classes, and the next day talking with the boys about it (although I'm a girl, but my girls mates didn't like it). After that, I watched almost every anime that I could put my hands on, but never could stand Dr. Slum and Arale.
Nowdays I'm not so put, but I'm enjoying some series now and then. And I like a lot yaoi manga and anime.

unbirthdayDate: Wednesday, 2012-01-04, 7:29 AM | Message # 71
Private
For the longest time I never liked manga because I prefer watching anime rather than reading stuff that's just drawings. But ever since I bought the app MangaStorm on my iPhone and started reading manga (ones that I first watched the anime where it the manga is still ongoing) I began to love it. Then I realised the manga is usually a lot better than the animation adaptions which made me loveee manga. So now I read a lot of manga.

lochnessasaurDate: Saturday, 2012-01-07, 5:47 AM | Message # 72
Private
Hm...I don't really remember my first manga. I think I probably started looking into it after seeing dubs of various anime series on TV (like Sailor Moon). At the time, it was really hard to find manga in English except at the public library, and they didn't really have a lot of selection (or would just have random volumes). I'm definitely happy for the wider availability online now.

keasethDate: Monday, 2012-01-23, 9:26 PM | Message # 73
Private
My first manga was Doraemon, and you can say I learn how to read from it also. It was the summer before my 1st grade, someone bought me a thin Doraemon book (in my native language, of course, oh and I still remember it was volume 2. For the whole summer, I was glued to that book, asking everyone to read it for me over and over again. And at the time every adults got too bored with that book so they refused to read for me anymore, I had already remembered by heart all the contents, and started to do it by myself~ xD

faechildeDate: Thursday, 2012-01-26, 4:31 AM | Message # 74
Private
I discovered manga when I began looking for more information on an Anime I was watching. Once I discovered manga, that was all she wrote. I was addicted. Now I watch a lot of anime and read the corresponding manga. :)

amedoxDate: Sunday, 2012-01-29, 3:12 AM | Message # 75
Private
As far as I remember, I read Sailor Moon. I can't even think how it started (maybe I saw the anime?) but everything branched out afterwards. Now that I think of it, I think I started from French "bandes-dessinees" and happened to find Sailor Moon which had more plot and more interesting characters that went through ordeals and etc. and then discovered the rest of the manga/anime world.

Message edited by amedox - Sunday, 2012-01-29, 3:30 AM

MidoriDate: Saturday, 2012-03-10, 10:34 AM | Message # 76
Lieutenant
I already posted this on another thread but I'll post it again, anyway! xD
Hey peeps~! Made a poem of how I came to love manga ^__^

~The Car~
I.
Let's pretend I'm a car, driving myself with amazing speed,
And suddenly, my wheel breaks as I reached the peak,
I, who was out of control, raced onward to the cliff,
Using the power left in my engine, I tried to shift!

II.
I awoke in a mysterious and eerie place,
This is what I get for driving in an uncontrollable pace,
But, right now, I am glad,
For at least, I am safe!

III.
Wandering around, something caught my attention!
I, who loved adventure was full of exhilaration,
I rushed towards it, with overflowing passion!
As I arrived, it was only just a story full of weird illustration!

IV.
I soon grew fond of the different story plots!
Though, the art, at first, took me by shock,
With their overly ginormous eyes and thin bodies,
As if all the main characters were perfect, oh golly!

V.
When would I leave this place or when would I stop, you ask?
I think it is when my time is over and suddenly, driving becomes a hard task,
When my engine stops working, I will rust, and like a flower, I will wither...
But for now, while I am still up and running, my answer to your question will be, "NEVER!"

-Midori-
~~~
Hey!! Sorry for my poem being too long xD So, let me tell you what actually happened n__n In the poem, I am explaining how I was surfing the internet, there were a lot of ads and I got annoyed, so, I removed all the ads and then I accidentally clicked a button saying "Click Here!" And it was actually a virus, my laptop kept blinking on and off and then there was this annoying song that kept playing (It was a "Windows Error Song") So I used all of my powah to save my laptop from death, and, unexpectedly, I did! Yaaaay~! I dunno how o.o Somehow, through some weird coincidence, I landed in MF (MangaFox).. And I saw, "Kitchen Princess (updated)", I just randomly clicked it and then it lead me to a new site and there were chapters and such and I clicked "Chapter 1" and so on and so forth. I soon became very umm.. "fond" or more like "addicted" to manga.. Let's just say, I became an otaku and the ginormous eyes did freak me out a bit, but I soon knew how to pick high-quality manga and I like shounen more than shoujo.. Is that weird? At the last verse, lies my answer of when I would stop reading manga. I explained that maybe when I'm old and dying or when I'm dead, I would stop but right now I'm still young and living, why stop? But, that doesn't mean I don't exercise! I read and exercise regularly and btw (by the way), so what if I'm an otaku?

I love reading manga I love my mom~!

qiaDate: Tuesday, 2012-08-21, 4:26 AM | Message # 77
Private
I got into manga on new years eve when I was in grade 5 (long time ago lol). Inuyasha came on an hour or so before 12 and I fell in love with it:) I searched for it in google and came across a manga site. From then on I started to read manga ( ironically I read manga and it took me a few years to get into anime)

kisaDate: Tuesday, 2012-10-09, 7:37 AM | Message # 78
Private
I got into manga thanks to my aunt's comics lying around when I was little. She had tons of Doraemon manga volumes and I have never turn back since. ohs Then there was Dragonball and Sailormoon with friends. Aww the memories.

catpipe8473Date: Tuesday, 2012-10-09, 8:54 AM | Message # 79
Sergeant
I was an anime fan at first and started reading manga when I found out that the source of animes are manga. Hi

non8Date: Wednesday, 2012-10-17, 7:41 AM | Message # 80
Private
When I started to watch anime all those years ago, I still didn't know about manga. But then I learned that most anime are based on a manga and somehow naturally I at first found a page that translated manga to my language and later I found MangaFox (which I now abandoned). I started to read manga there and found my way around to various scanlating groups. Now my HDD and external HDD are full of manga scans and anime and my shelves are also almost full with manga.

chibikariDate: Tuesday, 2012-12-25, 4:59 PM | Message # 81
Private
I blame my middle school friends and my occasional cartoon network with DBZ and Sailor moon when I was a child. Ooo Toonami how I miss you now. Then I started to read manga where my first one was Ranma 1/2. I picked it up by curiosity and found it hilarious and continued it. And now I am here still enjoying new manga and stories that come my way. OOoooo all the fangirling I do everyday.

ZephireDate: Monday, 2016-01-11, 7:08 AM | Message # 82
Private
A friend of mine initiates me, I was 20. It was with Naruto ^^ and since then I nerver stop reading and watching mangas !!

manenalucaDate: Thursday, 2016-01-14, 10:15 AM | Message # 83
Sergeant
As I can see, most of us started with watching anime.For me it was with Sailor Moon and Inuyasha, then Blood +,Trinity Blood and Hell Girl. When I searched for details I found the related manga, and not only that, and  fell in love with it.

shirleyzDate: Wednesday, 2016-01-27, 3:59 AM | Message # 84
Private
I started reading manga after the addiction of anime, too. When the anime  completed or uploaded slowly, i began to trun to manga. I still remember the amazing feelings when i first meet manga, there were a new world opened to me.

JibrilDate: Tuesday, 2016-04-05, 12:39 PM | Message # 85
Private
i got into reading manga because of the first manga i mentioned in another topic: Dragonball

back then i was watching the anime on tv and then i found the manga in a bookstore. back then i didnt know anything and was surprised that the story in the manga was much further than the anime....so without thinking about it for long i just bought it and even after i read it all i just went on to the next story.

freakzaliveDate: Monday, 2016-04-11, 4:59 AM | Message # 86
Private
I've always been a real geek. My parents loved video games and my dad had shown my sister and me a lot of anime, which I really got into. Naturally, my sister started collecting her own manga and one summer she had gotten this manga "Princess Ai", in which the main character was loosely based off of Courtney Love (who I really liked, at the time). Since, the manga seemed to have something to do with an artist who I was really into, I read it and kind of went on a bender. After that summer, I found that I liked manga more than regular novels and have loved them ever since.

kisaDate: Monday, 2016-04-11, 8:52 AM | Message # 87
Private
I've been reading manga since primary school thanks to my aunt who had books of Doraemon passed down to me. Also had friends who were into Dragonball then. Yup, I'm a 80's kid. ;p

DietrichDate: Wednesday, 2016-04-13, 12:05 PM | Message # 88
Private
Mmmh, this question throws me back to when I was 13 (I think)!
I always like anime, because during my childhood, the television always broadcasted various series during afteroon hours, and we children will finish early our homeworks to run in front of the telly and catch the last episode of our favourite show!
So, when I was attending middle school, I've discovered that my favourite anime of all time, Sailor Moon, had come from a japanese comic book, a.k.a. a manga. So I HAD TO READ IT; I felt really like when I found the first numbers of the Sailor Moon manga in a comic book store near my home, and I started buying them, enjoying even more my experience that had begun with the anime.
So, Sailor Moon for me was the beginning of it all, and as of today, I still don't regret it :)

pyromancer_firewireDate: Tuesday, 2016-05-24, 6:19 PM | Message # 89
Private
I started reading manga after watching anime, but that was because one of my classmates was reading manga (Rurouni Kenshin). She got me interested in it, and started lending me her manga, after which i started finding the different genres and buying my own.

jpeachaholicDate: Monday, 2016-07-04, 1:40 PM | Message # 90
Private
At first, I'm a novel fan, i love reading uumm.. so i started to read manga

sumgyeojinsulyeonDate: Monday, 2016-07-04, 9:02 PM | Message # 91
Private
It's been a really long... super long time, actually.  But my first manga experience was actually Shonen Jump magazines back when I could still find them in the grocery stores.  And the one I remember the most, and therefore say it's my first, was Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.  Honestly, I haven't found anything funnier to me.

opiumtearsDate: Tuesday, 2016-07-05, 3:38 PM | Message # 92
Private
I have always been interested in Japan and Japanese. Especially the pop culture. Since I was young I watched animes. Didn't know anything about mangas then. Later when I tried to get more information about a series I was addicted (Slam Dunk) I've learned about mangas. And now I more addicted to it than animes.

juliet_fiamatta_asto_capuDate: Tuesday, 2016-07-05, 6:47 PM | Message # 93
Private
I knew what manga was but didn't really get into it until High School. My mother's friend's daughter was the one who really got me to start reading them. It all started when she lent me her Fruits Basket manga. The stories the mangakas come up with are great! I especially like them if the art is beautiful and greatly detailed. Manga is not only fun but is a great stress reliever for me.

bolabuluhitamDate: Tuesday, 2016-07-05, 10:53 PM | Message # 94
Sergeant
My mother read me books or stories since I was a kid
kinda before sleep thing, it was so exciting!
I remember I would wonder what kind of story for the next day
I just love stories and can`t stop read them!  :)

ahhaDate: Wednesday, 2016-07-06, 5:30 AM | Message # 95
Private
It was when i wanted to look something interesting for my age and in cartoon.So i looked everywhere and find HOST CLUB.In the end of this cartoon in the subtitles was written that if you want to know what will be next go and read it .So i look for continuation of the story.find out that it was anime based on manga, and my life as fan begin ^____________^

Message edited by ahha - Wednesday, 2016-07-06, 5:32 AM

hanamisweet08Date: Thursday, 2016-07-07, 5:48 AM | Message # 96
Private
I went into manga when I was a teenager because a frined of mine intoduced me to this awesome world! At the beginning She mede me read her mangas sometimes but shorter after I started to buy them myself and I start my precious collection! <3 ^__^

grooveygirl66Date: Saturday, 2016-07-09, 8:08 AM | Message # 97
Private
I have always been a big fan of anime. At the time I was watching Fruits Basket and the ending just didn't set well with me, so after doing some looking around on the internet I found out that I would have to read the ending since it was never animated. And that is how I got into reading manga.

ophelie1399Date: Wednesday, 2016-08-03, 11:23 AM | Message # 98
Private
I really get into the manga with the anime Kilari (lol) when it started to be broadcast on TV, in 2008 I believe.  Then my big sister who made me discover manga, and since I haven't stopped. OG I think that, at the beginning,  I wanted to do like my sister ( a real little sheep^^)

gedsfwDate: Thursday, 2016-08-04, 4:49 PM | Message # 99
Private
I got into manga about when I was 12-13ish( 2002...90s baby ) was also around the time I got into anime. My brother had me watch Sailor Moon and was hooked...and around the same time he bought me a copy of Inuyasha Manga and then once again was completely hooked. so...pretty much my brother is the blame for my obsession.

I am female, tho My profile says otherwise...awks

HanaDate: Sunday, 2016-09-18, 3:17 PM | Message # 100
Private
I'll say my brother was the one who got me started.  He went to the library and borrowed Fushugi Yuugi & Battle Angel Alita.  It was a wonderful world for me back then (although now I wouldn't recommend FY unless you want shoujo drama and stress from frustrations).  My friend also helped contribute by lending me her Paradise Kiss manga & Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne DVDs.  Adding on top of that, I saw Digimon & Pokemon when I was young.  I didn't know they were Japanese animation and just thought, "Wow, they look so much better than other cartoons!"

Forum » Discussions » Manga/Manhwa » How did you get into manga and why?
Search: